- Duration: 90 Minutes
- Location: Pyrmont, NSW
For a short time every spring our historic motor launches voyage across Sydney Harbour to cruise the lower Lane Cove River so that you can view the purple tide of Jacaranda trees blooming in the gardens of Hunters Hill and the North Shore. These gardens seen from the water give you an uninterrupted view of the shoreline as it was envisaged by some of the founding fathers of Hunters Hill, the Jouberts, who handed out trees in the 1860’s for the early inhabitants to plant in their gardens to enhance the new suburb.
Places on these cruises are limited so please book early!!
- Discover the hidden winding entrance to the Lane Cove River and the Humbug.
- We pass Northwood Bay a favourite subject of Lloyd Rees paintings.
- See Mary Reiby’s Figtree house still standing on the bank of the river.
- Hear about the ongoing conflict between convict sawmillers and farmers and the Aboriginal resistance fighters.
- We visit Woolwich where the change from a heavily industrialised harbour shoreline to public parks and premier residential areas has left sites such as Mort’s Dock cut into the sandstone cliffs.
The tour finishes back at the Australian National Maritime Museum Heritage Wharf.
What to wear: Please wear sensible footwear and dress appropriately for the weather on the day; a windproof jacket may be useful whatever the weather. Stilettos and sharp-heeled shoes strictly prohibited.
Morning Check in: 9.45am for a 10.00am start
Afternoon Check in: 12.30pm for a 1.00pm start
Vessel: Heritage Motor Launch Berrima 1955
Jacaranda Cruises runs from last week of October to first two weeks of November.
- Walk from Town Hall station across the historic Pyrmont Bridge (15 min).
- Darling Harbour ferry from Wharf 5 at Circular Quay and alight at Pyrmont Bay.
- Light Rail L1 from Central station and alight at Pyrmont Bay.
- Bus No 389 which runs from Bondi Junction to Pyrmont and goes through the city via Park St close to George Street and the Town Hall. Alight at Star Casino (5 min
walk to Museum https://transportnsw.info/routes/details/sydney-buses-network/389/74389)
- Parking at Harbourside Car Park, Murray Street. When booked on one of our sails you are eligible for discounted parking. To claim your discount, please go to the Main Reception of the Australian National Maritime Museum or Wharf 7 Building during open hours and ask for your ticket to be validated.
Other special instructions:
- If, in the opinion of the Master on the day of the event the wind or sea state is deemed unsuitable for the comfort of passengers, the event will be cancelled. Smoking on board strictly prohibited.